HIT COUNTER

Force Fetch Update (Hold Training)




 Since my last post on FF. I found out I was skipping a major step in my training. I think as a beginning handler I am anxious to get to the final product therefore causing me to hurry through and skip steps. FF training is not something that should be rushed, take time, baby steps and real time progression will be noticed.
 So what happened was I skipped hold almost all together I used "fetch" instead and had him holding only bumpers, it was working well actually had him lunging for the bumper right away and before long even going away from me to fetch bumper. He would hold bumpers great with a little bit of mouthing. Thats where the skipped steps reared it's ugly head. After getting the advice of others I started over with "hold". The problem was he would fetch a bumper or hold a bumper with some mouthing, no mouthing allowed! And never being introduced to fur or feathers there was no way he would fetch up a bird or rabbit. So out came the Tri Tronics trained retrieve dvd! I have been following that method by the book. I must say everything is really working out much better. I currently have him heeling while holding everything from bumpers to pipes to frozen ducks,chukars,pheasants, frozen rabbits and fox tails! Oh he was definitely hesitant at first with all these things but most definitely the fur. As you can see in these photos this was the beginning of the frozen game hold training he is not happy. Expect any dog to be reluctant at first but with constant repetition it will soon pass. Fur is the biggest obstacle to get past in hold training in my opinion. I will update soon with photos of our progress as of now. Good Luck to any of you who are currently in the process of this same training. Don't forget to send those photos or info on your training.

No comments:

Post a Comment