HIT COUNTER

Pheasant Derby 2008





Headed on out to Wasatch Wings and Clays for the Pheasant Derby and what a blast!
The event started at 8 am and off we went to kill pheasants. The first two areas we tried were empty. No birds to be found. I was started to get really anxious, wondering if Hessian was even hunting for us. With an hour left into the derby we changed spots one more time. Ten minutes into this area and BAM Hessian locked up on a staunch point. Waited for me to approach and flush bird and with a few "Wait"'s from me, Hessian hung tight and waited for the bird to be shot.
Then with a "Fetch" from me off he went on the retrieve. He returns and sits, bird in hand!
We continued our course and found another rooster to our surprise in an area that had been hunted earlier.
They had some great prizes like, memberships, chukar hunts, shotguns, antelope tags, Carhart jackets, hats etc.
All in all was a great time, the guys i went with were able to win some great prizes and get a few birds.
My nephew Biz and i hung out a bit longer and picked us up 4 more birds in an hour, thanks to the help of my hunter Hessian.
One thing for certain, I learned to trust my dog! If he smells no bird then there is no bird. Good Times.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work with the ditch-chickens! That's why all the training's worth it... so you can look at your dog, he can look at you, and you both think the other rocks!

    best
    A.

    ReplyDelete