HIT COUNTER

HZP Logan 2009

Last time in Logan for testing this year. Went out to witness and participate in the HZP. The second of the 3 breed tests that we do as members of the VDD to look over the fine quality’s of our dogs. I went out to support a few local guys I have trained with all summer as I prepped Hessian for the VGP. Not to mention root for all other handlers that decided to test their wits, most for the first time. I myself was a second time runner,as I chose to handle Jager(Harley) vom Wasatch. A high drive dog with a lot of power that actually belongs to Mac, but he let me do the testing so he could enjoy his hunts and give me more experience!
I hadn’t spent much time with Jager in training. Only been out with him a few times, worked on some water work a bit, about 3 drags, 5 shot bird retrieves, and maybe 10 birds worth of pointing. Not a lot when it comes to how much time people put into training for the HZP. I think a lot of what Jager had to offer was his extra amount of exposure. Mac is a big hunter and gets out a lot too. I think that Jagers time spent out at the duck club and Utah Lake gave him just the edge he needed for this test. His amount of drive doesn’t hurt either!
It sure makes things a lot easier when there is no pressure to impress anyone, but found myself getting a little nervous never the less. No matter what there is always those things that make you nervous as you work your way to the end. I had a great time running Jager, he surprised the hell out of me and I’m sure a few others! I learned some more as a handler and feel good about it all. I would seriously consider handling Jager in VGP if it is an option,.....Mac? It just goes to show the true natural versatile ability of the Deutsch-Drahthaar. I could really get used to this kind of thing. I enjoy these dogs so much and although the training and testing is such hard work it is sure worth it and makes for one super great hunting companion.
My partners in crime from the valley did well. Zac and Lola (Ice) vom Wasatch pulled it off even with how nerve racked Zac was. Lola did a great job on all aspects of this test. Such a happy high drive dog. Still a lot of puppy, you have come along way Zac. I think you may be really figuring her out. Got one super dog and worked out an awesome score, coming out with a 182! Time to enjoy hunting this fall and when the snow melts we will be at it again to prepare for VGP!
Nik (Hank) vom Wasatch did a good job too. He completed every task he needed to, just had a hiccup on the rabbit drag, which unfortunately is one of the most important tasks in this test. It is the one thing that really gets to some dogs and there handlers. Not sure if Nik ever failed a drag in training but one thing I have realized is..... they need to. The dog most definitely needs to learn it MUST bring the rabbit to the handler. Still had some great scores on all other areas and I have seen Nik and Ron come along away over the last year. Regardless of any outcome they will make one great hunting team.
Glad to hear our new friend and fellow addict Kevin made it through with a 178….Wish we could of stayed to watch Archie do his thing,but imagine it all went well. Nice to meet you Kevin and keep it up. Armbruster just ahead man. See you there!
Congratulations to everyone. It is not an easy test. It takes a lot of work and dedication to even get this far. I commend all of you. Thanks again to all judges for the hard work. I think we should hold a clay shoot for the Chapter though! Some practice is needed by all…no?
Enjoy your dogs and hunting Gentleman! As we will all be returning to the testing circuit next year! Coming next..... Armbruster!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for taking the time to put the video together. Excellent memories.

    -- Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enough said, Cheers to old friends and new ones.
    Contrats to all that made it through.

    ReplyDelete