HIT COUNTER

Greta's Last Chance For Bunnies



This was the last weekend before the VJP test in Malta, Idaho, and I am still tripping out on the fact she needs to get on a live rabbit track. So Zac and I worked with Greta on Saturday and I decided to pick her up and try again on Sunday. Zac and I were able to work with her in the field, letting her search and working on field commands. We laid a drag and of course she nails it, bringing the rabbit to Zac's hand with pride. The spot we are using has a little water and Greta was interested in swimming and looking for ducks. I am so impressed with her natural hunting abilities, she is going to be quite the hunter! Hessian,Lola and Greta were able to run alot and get nice and tired so it ended up being a productive couple of hours. Fun as always,running dogs!
Sunday morning I woke with an overpowering need for a Drahthaar fix! It was supposed to be nice weather and ended up being cloudy and windy, so nothing fits better than a day in the field with some bearded dogs. Hessian and I loaded up and headed out to pick up Greta, then the 3 of us were on a mission for rabbits. Got out to a spot that we have gotten into rabbits before and began walking for how far or long I just didn't know. Finally an hour or so into our journey Hessian flushed up a cottontail! I commanded Hessian "down" and called Greta to me, took her over to where I saw the rabbit start and put her on the track. She could smell it good,because she was right on it! She followed the track well for the portion I had seen the rabbit run and kept her nose down and was very interested in the scent trail left behind. I called her and Hessian to me and we looked a little more. Sure enough about 20 minutes into it Hess flushes another, maybe the same, cottontail. Either way, I was stoked....I called Hessian and Greta to me, put Hessian in a down-stay and took Greta to the start of the track. Once again, with a snoot full, she was on it, winding through the exact brush I had pinpointed as the path the rabbit took. I followed her a bit because I was sure she would produce the rabbit if I could get down there fast enough to see. I never saw the rabbit again, but she was on it, and her desire was insane...at one point the check cord caught up in the brush and she was stuck, oh man she was pissed! She wanted to follow that scent and getting stuck was not ok with her, she fought and fought,by the time i got to her she had worked it loose and was on the trail again! As I have stated a few times before, her drive is amazing at 8 months old! Addiction satisfied.......for today.....but never cured!
We never ended up finding anymore rabbits, so we headed in. I feel better now knowing she was able to follow some fresh,live scent. Now all I can do is sit tight and wait till this coming weekend to watch the VJP and see her outcome. I will return with pics and a post for sure.
Be sure to check the Wild West Chapter site for current test results and keep checking back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment