HIT COUNTER

Why We Own Drahthaars

I wanted to share this story that was e mailed to me by fellow addict Kevin Quast. He received this an email with the same title as this post, from his good friend Dave Swanson.
Kevin had forwarded this on to me and it really caught my attention. Those of you who know and understand my passion for this breed understand I am a firm believer in using this breed for every purpose it was made for. This post will will show, this is why we own Drahthaars. The versatility, the trainability. The pure fact that no game will be left behind. The true nature of ethical hunting done right.
Good Hunting guys, thanks for passing this along Kevin and Dave.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I thought you might like to hear about the buck Franky & I recovered last night (Monday, Oct. 26, 2009). My friend shot him at 5:30 p.m. Sunday. We started the track at 2 p.m. Monday and found him about 3:30 p.m. Total estimated distance was 1/2 mile. The first 400 yards of the track was through a nice clean oak stand, and we found plenty of blood. The next 300 yards or so was through a swamp with calf-deep water but plenty of swamp grass for scenting. Blood was spotted only about every 20 to 30 yards. Franky took me to the edge of a swollen creek to deep for us to cross, and we found blood where I assumed the buck stood before crossing. We stood at the edge of the water where I took off the leash and gave Franky a fetch command. He swam across went to the east about 10 yards, restarted himself and went to the north about the same distance, came back and restarted himself again -- this time with his nose glued to the ground heading west. Franky was gone for about minute, and I heard a bark. I told my friend Jon he found the buck. We headed to where Jon knew of a bridge to cross and found the buck about another 100 yards from where Franky crossed the creek and right where he had tracked him and barked. The deer weighed 209 lbs and rough scored 153 inches with a 19 1/2 inch inside spread. This was by far the most exciting track I have ever went on.

Dave Swanson
Eau Claire, Wisconsin

No comments:

Post a Comment