HIT COUNTER

Force Fetch At Lee Kay But For How Long?

 Met up with my usual training pal Zac out at Lee Kay. I planned on working some FF training in a new area. Means new smells, new ground to cover and heavy distraction. Just what I am looking for at my stage of training now. It was a bit on the warm side today so we took it a little easy with running the dogs first, some swimming, some discipline followed with "good boys" praise and kenneled up so we can work on them one at a time. This is a new method I've been trying. Exercise, Discipline, Affection in this order, really seems to awaken the dog to what is happening.
 I am currently working on blind retrieves with bumpers and was able to introduce gunshots before the retrieve which is a new step we had never done before. Hessian has always gotten really excited when shots go off so this will take a bit of work to steady him so he doesn't just take off after the shot, I need him to stay until I command "Fetch". For the first time I think it went well.
 I was able to send him on retrieves of four bumpers i had tossed out without him seeing, using a crosswind i would set him up, command "fetch" and off he went right past the bumper, a little search out ahead and coming back in a bit winded it and headed right in fetched it up and returned to me. Need to work the manner of retrieve a bit i think because he doesn't do it the same every time. Sometimes he will sit in front of me and sometimes its the side but at least he is retrieving and searching on blinds till he finds it and does not return empty mouthed.
 I also did some water work for the first time officially in a big body of water. No problem! The drive just takes over no matter how far, how difficult or how tired he is. I say "fetch" and he is gone, in the water with no hesitation just dives in and heads for his prize! Great return, upon exiting the water shakes while holding and after dropping once and getting corrected now waits until i have taken the bumper to shake off. Awesome! Of course this still needs more work but repetition is the key and i think he will get it just fine.
 Did a drag with a thawed rabbit that made me very happy. I started him on the track and off he went sniffed it out and found the rabbit. This also was the first real drag with game in this phase of FF training so there are things to learn..... for example upon finding the rabbit he just stood there and stared at it until i commanded "fetch". So on the next one when he is released on the track i am going to command fetch so he understands he is not just supposed to find it but bring it to me as well. Was also able to work on a blind retrieve with a thawed chukar which worked out good. After being told to fetch took off on about a 5 minute search and upon winding the bird found it and retrieved to hand. I think we are right on track and next step i think will be working with game more and more. Got to get some ducks and some rabbits so i can get to work on this. Any one got some they want to give up please let me know.
  We were able to let the dogs run around together searching over vast areas and hanging out once again. Good to have my training partner back with his dog who seems to be doing quite well with his newly dominating master. The handler seems to be doing alot better too, paying attention to all those little details of obedience and emphasizing his calm assertive dominance over the dog. Keep up the good work I think you will get it all worked out if you can keep all your fingers! Good to have ya back training wasn't the same without someone to share the exciting experiences with.
  
  As for the second part of this post I want to address something that has recently been brought to my attention.  Apparently the DWR wants to do some work to the ponds at Lee Kay. Making it into a fish hatchery for warm water species. this is a little concerning to me because aren't most hatcheries off limits to just the public? I mean ya we can go to hatcheries but how are they going to feel about dogs swimming in the hatchery ponds? There is also talk about making it a public fishery? I don't know, won't this increase trash and what about bait and hooks and line left behind for our dogs to get into. This really got my attention because it seems like they just want to take another training place away from us. I would hate to see this happening.
 Supposedly there is a meeting being held July 30 at Lee Kay Office 6 pm. Anyone who can attend to help discuss the concerns of us dog owners would be helpful. Voice your opinion!
Although the attached article seems to read like they have already decided I think we might have some say if there is a good turn out.
Click here to read article.... Lee Kay Hatchery

No comments:

Post a Comment