HIT COUNTER

No Water! I said "FETCH!" and Spider Bull Elk?

 Yesterdays FF session brought to me a little surprise. Hessian hit a wall in the Force To Pile.
I had gone to an area with alot of grass and space. I grabbed my bumper bag and walked out, stopped and threw all of my 11 bumpers i have,returned to the truck, poured water in a bowl and left it behind my truck. I then let Hessian out for a quick run/search keeping him steered away from my pile. I let him water up and then it was time to begin my 11 bumper 2x Force to Pile.
 Lined him up with the blind pile he hadn't seen that was about 65 yds ahead of us, and commanded "fetch". Zoom! "Woof" Off he goes with desire and speed! 11 times! One right after the other. I kept him in line on every return showing him to come sit right in front of me,perfect every time. On each give i would give the bumper a little toss behind me and send him on the next one. All 11 done. So we walk to the other end where the pile just was. Understand it is about 8 pm I am still in the city so it is a bit warm still. I began sending him out on the second pile of 11 bumpers. I can see signs of slowing, not as much drive, heavy panting, sluggish run, ears back a little and a sloppy pick up and slow return by the 5th bumper. We worked through it, kept fetching. Then on the 8th bumper on his way out, kinda trotting he decides to take a detour! Remember that water bowl? He did! Off he goes right for the water bowl, i push the button to give him stimuli with no response and he's almost to the water bowl so i turn it up a bit and just as he reaches the bowl i juice him and command "FETCH!!" He stops looks around and heads for the remaining pile. Sluggish return although holding well, even panting i can't knock the bumper out of his mouth. Almost laid down on the way back. This is good. You want to push that dog past all other hurdles. so what if your tired, hot, thirsty and this isn't fun anymore. I said FETCH! So FETCH! We continued onto the last 3 bumpers and the drive and focus was back, great return in front of me, ears up, tail wagging. The last bumper i made him hold and heel back to the truck. After a "give" his reward was water and some "good boys". Kenneled up, Session over.
I think we really made some progress on this one. I think he is really understanding fetch. 
My plan is to work on fetch for another 2 1/2 weeks, constant repitition. My wedding will be over then and it will give me 1 month to work on actual HZP test training. Hope it is enough time but that is all i have to work with.
 I want to mention that i had a guy call me the other day, he was frustrated. He had hit some walls with his dog and it seemed the dog was not to into the whole fetch routine. After reading some of my posts about Hessian being pretty much the same way he felt alot better and continued his training. After some repitition he had it down and now the dog will fetch no problem. I hope this helps more first timers too thats the whole reason i started this site. Thanks for sharing the experience and keep me posted as to your progress Nate. Good luck.

  Lastly......... Is this for real!? This is suppose to be in Utah somewhere, Unbelievable Rack!

1 comment:

  1. That bull is amazing, lot's of people are after him!! It is in Utah, a limited entry area, a buddy of mine has a permit and is going after him, I'm hoping he get's lucky!! I've got more about it at www.addictedtohunting.com
    Allen

    ReplyDelete